This blog...

...was initially for pieces done on a computer, but has since become a free-for-all. Here you'll find process work (digital and otherwise), sketch pages and studies, sometimes with commentary.

You can see the rest of my work here.

Remember kids : if you can't make pretty designs, at least make pretty lines!

-Paul

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

lifedrawing log - 08.10.11

Overheard this at a session tonight : "I don't buy into that gestural, 'spirit of the pose' stuff." That's like saying, "I love cake, but I don't really care for that 'flour and sugar' stuff."



Minor epiphany : When a model poses on/next to a stool, its structure helps establish the perspective you're dealing with, but you totally don't have to draw the stool. You can make it into a rock or an R2 unit or a pile of cabbages.  Not sure why it took me this long to figure that one out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"I don't buy into that gestural, 'spirit of the pose' stuff."

Did their poses look stiff and lifeless as though made from wooden mannequins? But seriously, how bizarre!

Norman said...

I followed a recipe for a cake once which had no flour or butter in, just eggs chocolate and sugar, as you can imagine it tasted like a sweet chocolate omelete.